This two-day professional development program provides all the tools you need in order to start building a culture of effective critical and creative thinking at your school, using the pedagogy of collaborative philosophical enquiry.
With its emphasis on practical strategies, relevant examples from real-life classroom discussions, expert modelling, and opportunities for teacher practice, our PD program has been consistently highly-rated by schools across Melbourne.
For teachers: We empower primary and middle school teachers with the knowledge, skills and understanding they need to confidently facilitate philosophical enquiry in the classroom.
For school leaders: We offer a vision for whole-school transformation, helping you foster a thinking culture that enriches students by deepening learning, building collaboration and boosting self-efficacy.
Participants learn how to identify philosophical questions, foster philosophical attitudes and foundational thinking skills, and make use of a multipurpose toolkit of reasoning and metacognitive techniques.
The program also equips participants with facilitation strategies to foster students’ skill development in collaborative enquiry, conceptual exploration, dialogue and reflection.
Introduction to Philosophical Enquiry promotes deep understanding and provides memorable practical experiences while also presenting a wealth of useful resources to help embed philosophy as an integral and sustainable part of your school’s curriculum.
We are proud of our consistently strong positive feedback from teacher participants in our PD programs. View participant feedback.
- Stimulating, practice-focussed talks jointly presented by The Philosophy Club’s Director;
- Challenging interactive exercises and lively group discussions;
- The Philosophy Club’s purpose-written 120-page teacher handbook (see Contents page and sample chapters);
- Ready-to-use practical resources including a scope & sequence, lesson planning guides, student evaluation rubrics, teacher self-evaluation forms, and a list of recommended books and resources;
- Transcripts of facilitated philosophical discussions among students for your reference;
- Information about how Philosophy integrates with the Victorian Curriculum;
- Access to The Philosophy Club’s range of (password-protected) online supplementary materials, including original materials such as our guide for working with ethical controversies in the classroom;
- Details of how our PD programs support the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.
Introduction to Philosophical Enquiry runs for two full days in your school’s professional development time. View a sample program outline.
The program is designed for a group of 6 – 22 teachers and/or school leaders.
Ideally, it runs on two separate days (approximately two months apart), to allow for teachers to practise new skills between the two days.
Typically, on each of the days, the program runs from 9:00am to 3:40pm, with two 15-minute breaks for morning & afternoon tea, and a 45-minute break for lunch.
This program takes place on school premises (or at a venue organised by the school).
Please contact us for further information.